Quetta district was held in turns by the Ghaznivids,
Ghorids and Mongols and towards the end of the Fifteenth
century was conferred by the ruler of Heart on Shah Brg
Arghun, who, however, has shortly to give way before the
rising power of the Mughals. The Ain-i-Akabri mentions
shah as supplying Military service and revenue to Akbar.
From the Mughals, Quetta passed with Qandahar to the
safavids. On the rise of the ghilizai power in Qandhar
at the beginning of the 18th century, simultaneously
with that of the Brohuis in kalat, Quetta became the
battle ground between Afghans and Brohuis, until Nadir
Shah handed Quetta over to the Brohuis about 1740.
Durranis and their successors continued to hold
possession of Pishin and Shal (Quetta) till the final
transfer of these placesto the british in 1879. On the
advance of the army of the Indus in 1839, Captain Bean
was appointed the first Political Agent in Shal and the
country was managed by him on behalf of Shah Shuja -ul -
Quetta was temporarily occupied by the British during
the First Afghan War of 1839-42 but was later abandoned.
strategic importance, being at the head of Bolan Pass,
was first recognized by General Jhon Jacob who urged the
Governer-General of India, Lord Canning, in 1856 to
garrison this important point of Vantage. But the
proposal was rejected on the ground that quetta was an
isolated place and surrounded by tribes.
1866, Sir Henry Green, political superintendent of Upper
Sind again proposed that Quetta should be garrisoned and
connected by rail with Karachi. The suggestion was again
rejected. However, when the Russians occupied Khiva in
Centeral Asia and were drawing nearer to the Afghan
border, the Brirish made Quetta a military station.
Under increased subsidy to the Khan of Kalat, railway
and telegraphic lines were run through his territory and
Quetta was connected with the cities of Sind.
the second Afghan War of 1878-80 Quetta was freely used
by British troops. After Sir Robert Sandeman's mission
to Kalat in1876, the fort of Quetta was occupied by his
escort and this region was managed on Behalf of the khan
up to 1883, when it was leased to the British Government
for an Annual rent of Rs. 25000.
When the arsenal at Quetta was being excavated in 1886,a
bronze or copper statuette of Hercules was unearthed,
which was 2 ¼ feet high and held in his left hand the
skin of the Nemean Lion.